Thursday, January 17, 2013

How I Spend My Tuesday Nights

Certainly not league bowling :). This English class is all about graphic novels and we're looking at a bunch of them - it helps that I own most of them too. I'm just missing Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan:



The first one we're looking at is Alan Moore's Watchmen, which is one of the most influential graphic novels of all time. It's an extremely well planned book and it would be possible to vastly under read it. There are a lot of repeating themes and motifs, and even though I have read it a few times now, there was still a lot of things I missed, including some atrocious puns. It is a violent book, but the themes of nostalgia, comics history and pastiche are very interesting. It's funny to be able to put something usually considered "low culture" into such elevated terms as "post-modern narrative of multiple voices". I better stop before I sound more like an essay instead of a blog post :-) Stay tuned for some notes on my other class!

4 comments:

  1. You have a lot of reading to do girl! Have fun ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure will! It's definitely the fun kind of reading - last semester there was way too much academic pontification :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your enjoying the books. I wish I was a reader, I read a ton of stuff online, but can never get into books.

    ReplyDelete